Old-Fashioned Sugar Cookies

I notice the Christmas Cookie recipe has changed somewhat in the Family Cook Book. This is the original that I started making in college and when I had a family I multiplied the recipe by 4. I would usually make them ahead with cookie cutters with just one or two helping and then freeze them until we had a frosting party with a few different colors frosting and several shaking bottles of trim. After the decorating was done, they would be frozen again and usually by Christmas there was only a few left! I think the last time I did these was in 1999 after moving up to Lake Almanor. But it is still a good tradition with little children to gather fun cookie cutters and let them decorate. And they are good!!
Recipe of: Janet
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg or 2 egg yolks (well-beaten)
1 tablespoon cream or milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
Cream Butter. Beat in sugar, egg, cream or milk, and vanilla. Add flour, salt, and baking powder sifted together. Mix well. If going to roll out, add just enough flour to make the dough stiff enough--about 1/4 cup. Careful though, you don't want them too hard and tough. Chill 1 hr or more.
Flour board lightly or dust with confectioner's sugar and roll dough 1/4 inch thick. Cut out with cooky cutters. Arrange on cooky sheet (ungreased).
Bake at 375 degrees until delicately brown (5 to 8 minutes).
I usually did 4 batches at a time.

No comments: