Penoche

Before I found an apartment with another school teacher the first year I taught school in Billings, Montana, I lived in the basement of a dear, dear couple. There was a huge kitchen and it was there I remember first making Mom's penoche, because I felt lonely. It has always been my consoling treat of choice but now I do it from memory and just make a very small amount unless it is the holidays.
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup thin cream
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts
1 T butter
  1. Stir sugar, cream, and butter together until ready to boil.
  2. Boil without stirring until soft ball forms in cold water.
  3. Pour on a large latter and when cool beat until creamy.
  4. Add flavoring and nuts and make into long rolls from which slices may be cut.

No comments: