Never Fail Caramel Frosting and Date Cake

This is not so popular with my family but my mother used to use this frosting on her date cake and I do love it. The recipe is from our Glendive, Montana neighbor Mrs. DeForth and really does never fail. It is also delectable on Banana Cake.

Recipes of: Janet Hardy

Frosting:

1 1/2 c light brown sugar
1/2 c granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 c top milk (half and half nowdays or regular milk)
1 T shortening
2 T butter
1 T cream
1/2 c nuts (optional)

Combine sugars, salt, milk, fats in saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved. Cook slowly, to soft ball stage. Cool, beat, add cream, beat until thick enough to spread. Add nuts.

Date Cake:

When I was at BYU I made this cake in 2 round layer pans instead of a flat pan, frosted it and sent it to my boyfriend in Montana for his birthday. It was very heavy and cost a lot of money. He said he liked it! My children would only eat the Marimonial Date Bars though.
1 pkg dates (1 lb)
2 cups boiling water
2 teaspoons soda
1/2 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup sifted flour
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts
Combine date, boiling water and soda. Add butter, sugar, eggs. Then add remaining ingredients. Batter will be thin, but do not add more flour. Bake in flat pan, about 45 minutes in moderate oven.

No comments: